Child Support

In Florida, both parents of a child are expected to provide financial support to raise their child. Child support in Florida is calculated based on a formula that accounts for the income of each parent, how much time each parent spends with the child, whether one parent provides health insurance for the child, and other factors. The child support guidelines provide a framework for calculating the amount that one parent will pay to the other.

However, the formula used to calculate the appropriate amount of support depends on the accurate entry of information. At PurLaw, our attorneys work to ensure that child support is properly calculated by gathering all of the relevant evidence and facts to ensure accurate information is included in the calculations.

Child Support Guidelines in Florida

Before 2010, a parent would need to have overnights with a child of at least 40% before they would have their obligations to pay child support reduced. However, the law was changed in 2010 so that a parent who has the child for at least 20% of the time overnight will have a reduced child support obligation. The child support guidelines account for the income of each parent, the number of overnights the child has with each parent, and various other financial factors.

Modifying and Enforcing Child Support Orders

In some cases, a parent’s financial circumstances will substantially change following a child support order. When this occurs, the parent can file a motion to modify the child support amount. For example, if the payor parent loses their job and can no longer afford to pay the ordered amount, they might get the amount reduced until they find a new job. Modifications can also be made to increase child support amounts when a parent’s income substantially increases, when the child’s needs change, and when other significant changes occur.

The child support obligation will end according to the date outlined in the child support order. Parents do not have to go back to court to terminate the child support order once their child is emancipated.

If the payor fails to make their court-ordered child support payments, the attorneys at PurLaw can file a motion with the court to enforce the orders. We are prepared to fight for your rights and have substantial experience helping our clients secure favorable results.

Contact PurLaw

If you are dealing with issues surrounding child support and custody, you should speak to the experienced attorneys at PurLaw. We represent clients throughout South Florida and can help you understand your rights and obligations. Call us today to request a consultation.

Or call +1 (941) 320-5544 to protect your future and start your path to happiness.
money, dollars, success-1428587.jpg